Blüthner

 

In autumn 1853, Julius Blüthner started a modest piano making workshop in Leipzig, Germany - the legendary “City of Music”, where Bach, Mozart, Schumann, Mendelssohn and Mahler spent their most productive years.


Blüthner pianos rapidly rose to prominence and were, for a long time considered the best in the world – preferred by the great pianists including Liszt, Rubinstein, Rachmaninov, Debussy and Stravinsky, who all owned Blüthners.


This piano has a rich yet refined tone that has enchanted not only pianists of every musical genre, but also great composers, conductors, opera singers and string instrument virtuosi. Its purity of sound makes Blüthner the ideal piano for recording and broadcast, and they are found today in studios around the world. At Abbey Lane the Beatles recorded on and eventually toured with Blüthner pianos.


The recipe is still the same: special woods from the high Alps, seasoned 12 years; more than 6000 parts and components assembled in each instrument. All lumber is naturally aged, and the patented cylindrically crowned soundboard is painstakingly crafted to vibrate and project sound freely. But most important, it is the special resonance system patented back in 1878 by Julius Blüthner, that continues to make this piano so special.


Not everyone prefers to have the loudest, most penetrating sounding piano in their home or recital room. Many prefer a classical sound that fills the air with tone of utmost clarity and colour. Subtle nuances that respond instantly to the fingers. That is the Blüthner piano of today.